Fantanista Blog

Fantasista Build Part 5

It’s been a while since my last report and unfortunately there have been a couple of problems that have really taken a bit of pleasure away from the build.

Anyway, I’ll start from where I left off. The kit and the plan do not allow for wing adjusters but I made the decision to include them. This necessitated a change in the way the locating dowels in the wing were mounted. The plan shows the dowels mounted in the fuselage but as the wing adjusters are inside the fuselage I had to mount the dowels in the wing root rib.

  • image001
  • image003

The wing adjusters (purchased from Hobby King) require small bolts to locate them onto the ply doublers on the inside of the fuselage but I didn’t want the bolts to show from the outside. Once these holes and a couple of others I never figured out were filled, it was time to start work on the glassing of the fuselage. I used ¾ (or thereabout) glass cloth purchased from Hobby King and I applied this with normal dope purchased from a local Hobby shop but significantly thinned down with Acetone. This part was pretty straight forward so once the complete fuselage was covered I started with the application of dope and talc. Three coats sanded down between coats covered most of the imperfections but I was really not happy with the result so I moved on to covering all the parts to be covered.

  • image011
  • image009
  • image005
  • image007

I have always liked building models and I think I do an OK job but I have never liked the painting or covering. I made up my mind though that I would try and paint the fuselage and cover the wings. The design I settled on was a modification of the scheme on my Galaxy which was a colour scheme roughed out by Bill and created by Extreme Composites.

I have made a few bits and pieces for my existing models over the last year or so and used Hobby King covering material which I found to be excellent, so I ordered the colours I would need and when they arrived I got stuck in. I didn’t take too many photos but here is what I have.

So I could get the shapes as close as possible I used my computer to draw up the patterns to exact scale. I then printed out all the individual bits and used these as templates to cut the film. This helped a lot but as I only have a normal size printer I had to stick many prints together to get the full size.

  • image023
  • image015
  • image013
  • image019
  • image017
  • image021

One of the problems I had since last report was I mucked up the clear canopy. I found among my many paint tins a can of Humbrol canopy paint so I attempted to tint the inside of the canopy. The paint was around twenty years old and I think the tin had rusted on the inside somehow because instead of spraying nice smooth tint I sprayed lumps and streaks. As I had spent a lot of time preparing a pilot to grace the tinted clear canopy I decided to have a go at making a new one.

I purchased a bag of plaster of paris from Bunnings and used the damaged canopy as mould to create a plug. As I had already cut the exact shape from the original canopy pressing I had to mock up that part of the original so I had something I could hopefully use to create a new canopy. Unfortunately the canopy is so big that a frame to hold a new sheet of Perspex is too big to fit in our oven.

Still working on a solution to the canopy problem but I may end up just painting the original.

  • image027
  • image025

Now its time to paint the fuselage and I’ll report on my struggles with this in the next report.