Fantanista Blog

Fantasista Build Part 2

Next task was to glue down the turtle deck sheeting which I did by strapping long dowels on the outside to make sure the sheeting met and was glued to the formers. Sorry I forgot to take a photo of this job.

Next I relieved the front of the turtle deck and some of the fuselage to allow for the attachment of the turtle deck extension! I used a piece of balsa with some 80 grit sandpaper glued to one end.

The bottom of the fuselage is also carbon so after a repeat of the relieving work to make space for the part to fit flush I glued it on using Polyurethane glue to give me time to get it set up and squarely clamped.

The fin was the next task on the agenda. The Rudder post was already marked with a centre line so it was easy to align this with the centre of the fuse.

Building the fin itself was pretty straight forward, just making sure that the sheets were glued together and sanded prior to laying them up on the ribs. The bits of extra balsa and the tape are to ensure the sheets make perfect contact with the curved ribs .

  • image009
  • image023
  • image029
  • image007
  • image011
  • image017
  • image005
  • image021
  • image015
  • image003
  • image031
  • image019
  • image013
  • image025
  • image001
  • image027