Fantanista Blog

Fantasista Build Part 1

Tom Bloodworth is building a Fantasista. A real kit!

For many years I was a keen builder of F3A models even building Bill’s designs from scratch from a stack of balsa.


Recently I have had a strong urge to build again but plans and/or kits have been very thin on the ground. On the other hand with the now weak Aussie dollar any models from the major manufacturers are seriously expensive and likely to go even higher.

A couple of months ago a build thread by an Israeli, Issac Najari started on RC Universe featuring the Akiba model the FANTASISTA. I saw a Fantasista flown by Haneda of Japan at the AOC event in Thailand last year and liked the way it flew so I took the plunge and purchased a kit.

The kit is essentially just a box of balsa and light ply brilliantly laser cut. To sheet the wings and stabs there is 30 sheets of extremely good and light 2 mil balsa. Because the kit is made for Japanese consumption only there are no instructions at all. The major parts are numbered and there’s numbers on the plan but apart from this meagre help you are on your own.

First I made up the fuselage sides, two large 3 mil balsa sheets per side plus ply reinforcing
around the wing and fully flying stab.

Before the kit arrived I made a new building board so I could lay up the fuselage and wings on a perfectly flat accurately marked surface. I also made 10 right angle side supports to ensure model was held correctly.

Next task was to separate all the Fuselage pieces from the numerous sheets of laser cut ply and then assembly began. Undercarriage mounting formers and base plate was the starting point. As Issac had done with his build, I laminated all the undercarriage pieces with carbon cloth for reinforcement.

Now it was time to use my 10 support right angles.

Then the turtle deck. Board clamped on the edge of the building board has sandpaper on the inner face which I used to true up each of the individual sheets prior to joining.

The deck is sheeted with 2 mil balsa sheets which need to be joined together and also they need to be lengthened by 1round 150 Mil. First job was to make a template. Issac had made his from thin clear poly sheet but as I didn’t have any I decided to use old manila folders.

Once I had the cover sheet prepared I sprayed it with a little water and then slowly worked it over the frame but the gentle use of masking take to bull it around the form. Once it was roughly right I left it overnight to dry.

 

  • image009
  • image007
  • image011
  • image013
  • image017
  • image025
  • image015
  • image023
  • image019
  • image003
  • image001
  • image021
  • image005

To be continued!